Mario Batali's Turkey Sausage Stuffed ShellsBest Foods
- 1 pound jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage (casing removed)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Mayonnaise Dressing with Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup grated romano cheese (plus more for garnish)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 375°. Bring 8 quarts water to the boil in a large pot and add 3 Tbsp.salt. Drop the shells into the water and cook until 3 minutes short of the suggested cooking time, then drain them in a colander and shock them in ice water until very cold. Place in a colander lined with paper towels to dry and rest.
- 2In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the sausage and cook until it begins to brown in its own fat. Add the flour and stir to distribute well and cook 5 minutes. Add the milk, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 3Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir in the egg, the ricotta, the mayonnaise and the Romano cheese and mix well. Set aside.
- 4Grease a 10 x 12-inch baking dish with extra virgin olive oil and set aside. Carefully stuff each shell with 2 to 3 Tbsp. of the turkey sausage mixture and lay each one open side up in the baking dish, next to one another, but not too crowded to squeeze each other. Spoon a good Tbsp. of the tomato sauce over each shell and then sprinkle grated Romano cheese over all.
- 5Bake in the oven until bubbling hot, about 30 minutes. Remove; let rest 5 minutes and serve.