Mario Batali's Moist and Crunchy Mac and CheeseBest Foods
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Mayonnaise Dressing with Olive Oil
- 1 large eggs
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (shredded, divided)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add 3 Tbsp. salt. Set up an ice bath next to the stove top. Cook the pasta to 2 minutes short of the package instructions and then remove to ice bath and chill. Drain and toss with vegetable oil.
- 2While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour, nutmeg and paprika and stir for about 5 minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Whisk in the milk; bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 minutes.
- 3Stir the Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Mayonnaise Dressing with Olive Oil, the egg and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheddar into the cooled sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir the cooked and cooled penne into the cheese mixture and pour into a 2-qt. casserole dish. Top with remaining cheddar.
- 4In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and Parmesan and then add the olive oil and toss until the texture of moist sand. Spread bread crumb mixture over top of casserole.
- 5Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling inside with a golden brown crust on top. Remove from oven and allow to rest a few minutes before serving.