- flatbread dough
- 14 ounces plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 8 basil leaves (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella (torn)
- Place the Smart Oven+ Baking Stone Attachment in oven. Select STONE BAKE mode and preheat to 450°F.
- Pulse tomatoes in blender or food processor until broken down but still chunky. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in saucepan over low heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Do not let brown. Add tomatoes, 4 chopped basil leaves, salt and sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer until reduced to about 1 cup. Let cool. Can be made 2 days ahead and stored in refrigerator.
- Sprinkle parchment paper with cornmeal. Shape dough, with floured fingers, into a rustic oval about ¼-inch thick. Brush with remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil. Spread sauce over dough, leaving a ½-inch border. Arrange cheese on top and slide onto preheated Baking Stone.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until golden and puffed. Remove from oven and drop remaining basil leaves on top. Serve immediately.