Marble CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Two batters — one with cocoa, chocolate and rum and the other plain, save the addition of lemon zest — are swirled in a cake pan before baking, lending marbled results. Sure, it takes an extra bowl, though very little extra effort beyong that. Although the recipe simply finishes the baked cake with powdered sugar, you can frost it with your favorite recipe, if desired.
- 250 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 250 grams sugar
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- lemon peel
- 1/8 liter cold milk
- 400 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa (powdered)
- 50 grams chocolate (grated)
- 1 teaspoon rum
- powdered sugar
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C.
- 2Beat the butter with 200 grams of sugar and the vanilla extract until light and foamy.
- 3Add the egg yolks, one at a time, then add 2 tablespoons of flour, the milk, and grated lemon peel.
- 4Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks, add the remaining 50 grams of sugar, and continue beating until the peaks are firm.
- 5Sift the remaining flour with the baking powder.
- 6Carefully fold the egg whites and the flour into the butter mixture.
- 7Divide the batter into 2 bowls, add the cocoa, chocolate, and rum to one of the bowls.
- 8Pour half of the plain batter into a buttered and floured cake pan, then add the chocolate batter and add the remaining plain batter on top.
- 9Use a fork to make spirals in the batter for the marble effect.
- 10Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 11Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool completely and sprinkle it with powdered sugar before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1220Calories from Fat530|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat530|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.