- 4 pounds pork spareribs
- salt (as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon pickling spices (mixed)
- 1 small onion (coarsely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup flavored syrup (maple-)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dijon (style mustard)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- Sprinkle spareribs with salt. Tie pickling spice in cheesecloth and set aside. In a medium saucepan cook onion in oil until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add cheesecloth packet, syrup, vinegar, water, mustard and pepper; simmer 20 minutes. Remove cheesecloth.
- Prepare medium banked fire in covered kettle-style grill. Grill ribs over indirect heat 1 1/2-2 hours, until tender. During last 5 minutes of grilling, brush ribs occasionally with maple glaze, turning to glaze evenly.