- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 stems thyme leaves (stripped and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup jelly (cranberry)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Mix the maple syrup, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and thyme in a small bowl. Season with salt.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 mins on each side. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and brush with the maple syrup mixture. Roast for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook the sweet potatoes in boiling salted water for about 15 mins until tender. For the cranberry gravy, heat the drippings in the skillet. Add the onions and sauté for about 4 mins. Sprinkle with the flour and mix well. Stir in the stock and cranberry jelly. Bring to a boil. Season to taste and keep warm.
- Drain the sweet potatoes, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Mash the sweet potatoes with the butter, adding enough of the cooking liquid to form a fine puree. Serve the chicken with the cranberry gravy and sweet potato puree.