You have been invited to a party or potluck and you want to provide the perfect palate pleasing appetizer. This recipe for Mantecato Small Sandwich with Iberian Bacon combines the rich and delicious flavors that will melt in your mouth. These savory cakes are packed with flavor and make the perfect party appetizer. Be sure to pick these ingredients up the next time you go shopping so you can surprise your friends with your culinary skills.
- 3 sun dried tomatoes
- 1 handful green olives
- 300 grams flour
- 12 grams fresh yeast
- 170 milliliters warm water
- 5 grams salt
- codfish (Mantecato)
- Iberian bacon
- Finely chop the tomatoes and olives.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the bread.
- Knead for about 10 minutes.
- Cover dough with a cotton cloth and let rise for about 1 hour.
- Stretch dough into a rectangle, and then roll up into a cylinder.
- With a sharp knife, cut into desired number of equal portions and shape into rolls.
- Place rolls on a baking tray lined with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake in preheated oven at 220°C (approximately 425°F) for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and let rolls cool on a rack.
- For the sandwiches, cook bacon in a hot skillet until crispy.
- Halve buns and spread with codfish.
- Top with a fried pork rind, if desired.