- 175 milliliters semi-skimmed milk
- 14 grams active yeast (dried)
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 500 grams plain flour
- 150 grams butter (softened)
- 1 egg (+ 1 egg yolk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 grams dried mango (chopped)
- 50 milliliters apple juice
- 250 grams walnuts (chopped)
- 100 grams candied lemon peel (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- icing sugar (for dusting)
- In a saucepan, heat the milk until lukewarm. In a bowl, mix the yeast, 1 tsp sugar and 5 tbsp of the milk. Cover and allow to rest in a warm place for 10 mins.
- To make the dough, place the flour, butter, egg, vanilla extract, 1/4 cup sugar, the remaining milk and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Add the yeast mixture and knead with the dough hook of a mixer until smooth. Cover and allow to rest in a warm place for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, bring the mango and apple juice to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 mins. Drain through a sieve and place in a bowl. Stir in the walnuts and jam.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Knead the dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface to a 28 x 18 inch rectangle. Cut lengthways into 3 strips. Spread the filling down one long side of each strip and roll. Loosely braid the strips and form into a circle on the baking sheet, pressing the ends together firmly.
- To finish, whisk together the egg yolk and cream and brush over the dough. Bake for 30-35 mins, until a skewer comes out clean, covering with aluminum foil for the last 15 mins if browning too quickly. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm or cold.
PER SERVING *
|Calories300Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.