- 1/2 cup cake flour (Sifted)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (separated, room temp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (divided)
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 pounds mango (lrg To 5 ripe, 1 each)
- 1 cup confectioners sugar (divided)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 2 cups toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- mango (slices, for garnish)
- fresh raspberries (garnish)
- Make sponge cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter bottom and side of a 10-inch springform cake pan. Line bottom of the pan with a circle of baking parchment or waxed paper. Dust side of the pan with flour and tap out excess. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder & salt.
- Sift flour mixture onto a piece of waxed paper. In a large bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer set at high speed, beat egg yolks and 2 tb of granulated sugar for 4 to 6 minutes, until batter is pale yellow and forms a thick ribbon. Beat in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites at low speed until frothy. Gradually increase speed to high and continue beating soft peaks start to form. One ts at a time, gradually add remaining 2 tb of sugar and continue beating whites until they form stiff, shiny peaks. Scrape 1/3 of whites on top of beaten egg yolks. Resift 1/3 of flour mixture over whites & fold flour mixture and egg whites into egg yolk mixture, making sure to free any flour that may be clinging to side of the bowl. One-third at a time, gently fold in remaining whites with 1/3 of resifted flour mixture. Do not overfold. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake cake for 8 to 12 minutes, until center springs back when gently touched. Cool
- Make the mango mousse: Put water in a small heatproof cup. Sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand for 5 minutes to soften. Place cup with softened gelatin in a saucepan with enough water to come halfway up side of cup.
- Heat gelatin mixture in hot, not simmering water. Stir gelatin mixture frequently for 2 to 3 minutes, until gelatin granules dissolve completely and mixture is clear. Remove pan from heat. Leave cup containing gelatin mixture in hot water to keep gelatin warm until ready to use.
- Peel mangos and cut fruit away from pit. Cut fruit into large chunks.
- Combine half of mango chunks with 1/2 cup of sugar in bowl of a food processor. Process mangos for 40 to 60 seconds, until pureed. Transfer pureed mangos to a large saucepan. Repeat with remaining mangos and 1/2 cup of sugar. Cook the mango mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until warm. Remove saucepan from the heat. Add the gelatin mixture and vanilla and whisk until blended. Transfer mango mixture to a large bowl and cool to room temperature. In a chilled large bowl, beat the heavy cream and
- Assemble cake: Remove side from a 10-by-3-inch springform pan. Trim a 12-inch cardboard circle so that it fits snugly within curved lip of bottom of springform pan. Reattach side of springform pan. Remove paper circle from bottom of cake. Spread raspberry jam in an even layer over top of cake. Place cake layer in bottom of prepared pan. Scrape mango mousse over cake layer and smooth it into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Unmold cake: Using a portable blow dryer or damp very hot towel, carefully heat outside of springform pan until edge of mousse melts slightly. Release clamp on side of springform pan and gently lift it up and remove it from around side of the cake. Defrost cake in refrigerator for at least 3 hours, until ready to decorate.
- Decorate cake: Spread toasted almonds on a piece of waxed paper. Set aside 28 of best almond halves to garnish cake. Lift cake up on cardboard cake circle, supporting bottom of cake in one hand. Scoop up almonds and gently press them against side of cake, working around cake until side is completely covered. Put cake on a serving plate. In a chilled small bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set at medium speed, beat cream with the sugar until stiff peaks begin to form. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large closed star tip (such as Ateco #4) with whipped
PER SERVING *
|Calories1600Calories from Fat890|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat890|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.