Do you have a family event coming up and an inordinate amount of people to cook for? Stop your worrying with this recipe for a Madrid-style Cookoff. Perfect for a large autumn or winter gathering, this recipe includes instructions for the preparation of a savory broth to serve with both a hearty meat and a savory vegetable mixture over a bed of pasta. Guests will be able to choose what they add to their bowl of pasta for a self-serve buffet that is sure to satisfy.
- 400 grams chickpeas
- 2 chorizo sausages
- 1 sausage (onion-flavored)
- 1 piece pancetta
- 1 beef shank
- 3 marrow bones (beef)
- 3 ham hocks
- 1 pork (backbone)
- 2 pieces chicken
- 1/2 cabbage (whole)
- 1 onion (large, peeled and whole)
- 1 turnip (peeled and whole)
- 3 carrots (peeled and whole)
- 4 potatoes (peeled and whole)
- The night before, cover the chickpeas with cold water and let soak.
- The next day, fill a pot with the chorizo, sausage, pancetta, cabbage, onion, turnip, carrots, and potatoes. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer about 30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Drain the chickpeas of their soaking water and add them to a pressure cooker with the beef shank, marrow bones, ham hocks, backbone, and chicken. Cover everything with water and bring to the boil. Add the lid of the pressure cooker and cook 25 to 30 minutes.
- Combine the broth from both pots together after straining them through a colander. Let cool and refrigerate overnight. The next day, scrape the fat off the top.
- Reheat the broth adding salt to taste. When it comes to the boil, cook the pasta for 8 to 10 minutes in a pot of salted boiling water.
- Serve the meal in 3 dishes: Soup in a bowl, a vegetable plate, and a meat plate.