Savory, beautiful homemade madeleines that everyone will love! The small ornate cookies remain soft thanks to the sweet and crunchy caramelized onions. Thyme gives a little color to the white cookie as well as slightly bitter earthy notes complimented by the red sugar and elevated with cracked black pepper. Pair your madeleines with some afternoon tea or a strong cappuccino. Arrange them decoratively or pile them on a plate with a sprinkle of sugar for a rustic feel.
- 50 grams butter
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 110 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 grams bacon (chopped and browned until crisp.)
- Melt the butter in the microwave and let cool.
- Sauté the onions with olive oil for 5 minutes.
- When they are transparent, add sugar and caramelize for 5 min.
- Add the thyme and pepper and remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with flour and baking powder.
- Add melted butter, and whisk to incorporate.
- Add caramelized onions, and bacon.
- Transfer mixture to a madeleine tin.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Unmold and let cool on a wire rack.