Madeleines with Caramelized OnionLolibox
Savory, beautiful homemade madeleines that everyone will love! The small ornate cookies remain soft thanks to the sweet and crunchy caramelized onions. Thyme gives a little color to the white cookie as well as slightly bitter earthy notes complimented by the red sugar and elevated with cracked black pepper. Pair your madeleines with some afternoon tea or a strong cappuccino. Arrange them decoratively or pile them on a plate with a sprinkle of sugar for a rustic feel.
- 50 grams butter
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 110 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 grams bacon (chopped and browned until crisp.)
- 1Melt the butter in the microwave and let cool.
- 2Sauté the onions with olive oil for 5 minutes.
- 3When they are transparent, add sugar and caramelize for 5 min.
- 4Add the thyme and pepper and remove from heat.
- 5Preheat the oven to 350F.
- 6In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with flour and baking powder.
- 7Add melted butter, and whisk to incorporate.
- 8Add caramelized onions, and bacon.
- 9Transfer mixture to a madeleine tin.
- 10Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- 11Unmold and let cool on a wire rack.