A traditional sponge cake in English cookery, the Madeira Cake is a classic cake that all bakers should try. This homemade recipe for Madeira Cake is made with a mixture of rice and cake flour. Lightly flavored with lemon zest, this Madeira Cake has…
a slight citrusy flavor throughout. Bake time is one hour. Garnish with candied lemon or curls of lemon peel and serve as an after dinner treat or an accompaniment to an afternoon cup of tea.
- 150 grams butter (room temperature)
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 225 grams cake flour
- 50 grams rice flour
- 2 2/3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lemon (zested and juiced)
- 4 medium eggs
- lemons (candied, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (or 160 C. if it is a convection oven).
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- In another bowl, sift together the cake flour, rice flour, and baking powder. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Separately, whisk the eggs and lemon juice together.
- Alternatively, add the dry and wet ingredients to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Line an 18-centimeter-diameter cake pan with parchment paper and grease it well. Pour the batter in and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 1 hour, then remove to a baking rack to cool. Garnish with candied lemons (optional) before serving.
|Calories700Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.