Mackerel in Tomato Sauce and Lemon MackeralO Meu Tempero
Mackerel, two ways: In this recipe half the mackerel is coated with flour, fried to a crisp, and served with a seasoned tomato sauce. The other half is poached and then served with potatoes and a salad. You could make just one or the other, of course, but each one somehow tastes better when served with the other, as a sort of tapas for sharing with others. To make the tomato sauce, be sure to cook the onions until they are very tender with the wine and tomato paste.
- 1 kilogram mackerel (small)
- coarse salt
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- olive oil
- 1 onions (large, sliced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 50 milliliters white wine
- 210 grams tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves
- white wine vinegar
- 1Clean the mackeral and remove the guts and head.
- 2Divide in two parts for each preparation.
- 3Mackeral in Tomato Sauce Preparation:
- 4Season the mackeral with coarse salt and coat with flour.
- 5In a skillet, heat the vegetable oil, and fry the mackeral.
- 6Remove from pan and place on paper towels to remove excess grease.
- 7Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet, add the onion and bay leaf, and saute.
- 8When the onions are almost soft, add the white wine and tomato paste.
- 9Continue cooking on low heat while stirring until the onions are completely cooked.
- 10Place on top of the mackerels.
- 11Lemon Mackeral Preparation:
- 12Season the mackeral with plenty of salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 13Add water to a large skillet, and bring to a boil.
- 14Add the mackeral and cook for 5 minutes.
- 15Drain and remove the skin carefully.
- 16Remove lateral fish bones.
- 17Serve with baked potatoes and a salad.