This macaroni and cheese gets a serving of vegetables with the addition of cauliflower. Since it has a mild flavor, cauliflower is the perfect vegetable to mix into a dish like macaroni and cheese and is a great way to get the kids to eat more vegetables without really knowing it. This recipe only requires 6 ingredients and comes together in about 40 minutes for a simple dinner for any day of the week.
- 1/4 cup cauliflower (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 250 grams macaroni (or short pasta)
- 120 grams shredded cheddar cheese
- 45 grams grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Chop the cauliflower into small portions.
- Boil the water on the stove and add the pasta, salt, and the cauliflower. Let the pasta cook until it is “al dente.”
- As the pasta is cooking, place another heat-proof pot on top of the first pot and add the cream and cheese into it. Let the cheese melt with the heat and vapor from the second pot. Once the cheese has completely melted, add the chopped parsley and stir.
- Set the pot with the cheese aside, strain the cauliflower and pasta, and save 1/2 cup of the water used to cook the pasta.
- Place the pot with the cheese on the stove (over low-medium heat), add the pasta and cauliflower into the pot, and mix everything together.
- Add the 1/2 cup of saved water into the pot, mix everything together again and serve.
|Calories1080Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.