- 1 box whole wheat macaroni
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 red pepper (chopped into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups skim milk
- pepper flakes
- 275 grams mascarpone cheese (container of)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (5 of, shredded)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 375.
- While you are bringing the water to a boil for the macaroni - chop up the cauliflower into small pieces. I have a steamer that fits onto my big pot - so that I can steam the cauliflower while the pasta is boiling. If you don't have one of these - then you can easily add the cauliflower into the boiling water for the last couple of minutes.
- While the pasta is boiling, you can start the sauce. In a saucepan or a pot, melt the butter and add the flour, whisk together to make a roux, then add the garlic. Slowly add in the skimmed milk, and whisk together over medium heat. It will start to thicken. Add in the mascarpone cheese, stir to let it melt into the saucy goodness. Then add in half of the mozzarella cheese and let that melt in as well. At this time you can add in any fresh or dried herbs that you like - i.e., oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the cream sauce, with the cauliflower and peppers and mix all together.
- Place it into a large baking dish, top with the rest of the shredded cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.