MINI MEAT PIEMurmures
Meat pie was never so good or so delicately presented. These petite pastry pockets are simply brimming with savory flavors including smoked bacon, fresh garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Minced meat and mashed potatoes complete the filling for a hearty pastry pie that works for school lunches, tasty afternoon snacks, fun appetizers, or the main course alongside some rich gravy for dipping. Bonus, these pastries are baked, not fried, reducing the fat content so you can feel good eating them!
- 300 grams whole wheat flour (can substitute white flour)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 150 grams butter
- 80 milliliters water
- 350 grams minced meat (mixture of pork, veal and beef)
- 100 grams smoked bacon (chopped)
- 2 potatoes (medium-sized)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 2 celery ribs (finely chopped)
- mushrooms (a box of minced Paris )
- 4 cabbage leaves (chopped Kale)
- 1 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 clove (to taste)
- 1 egg yolks
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2In a bowl mix the flour and salt.
- 3Cut the butter into pieces and mix with the flour and salt mixture.
- 4Add the water and knead for a few minutes.
- 5Cover with plastic film and let it rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- 6Divide it into two balls and roll it on a well-floured worktop.
- 7With a bowl, cut circles about 12 cm wide. Recover the remaining dough and repeat.
- 8Cook the potatoes with skin on in water. (Cold start)
- 9Brown the meat in a large skillet for about 15 minutes over high heat.
- 10Chop the onion and garlic and sauté them in a small pan with the bacon.
- 11Add the onion-bacon mixture to the minced meat, add the spices, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and vegetables (carrots, celery, mushrooms, Kale)
- 12Cover with the broth, bring to a boil and cook for about 25 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- 13Adjust the seasoning as needed.
- 14Peel the potatoes and mash them.
- 15Mix the stuffing with the puree and season it to taste.
- 16Place a tablespoon of the mixture on each circle of dough.
- 17Close the turnover, and seal it with a fork.
- 18Brush each turnover with a bit of egg yolk.
- 19Place the turnovers on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, and bake for about 25-30 minutes.