Low in calories but high in flavor and protein, this casserole is a perfect healthy start to the day.
- 1 scallions
- 8 turkey sausage (links fully cooked, or chicken sausage)
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (like broccoli, peppers, asparagus, spinach)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 16 egg whites
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (lite)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9x13” casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mince the scallion and set aside. Finely chop the sausage and set aside. Finely dice the vegetables into 1/4” pieces.
- Place the vegetables in a large skillet. Set the skillet over medium-high heat, and pour in 1/4 cup of water. Bring the water to a low boil, and cook stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the water is completely evaporated. Set aside.
- Place the greek yogurt in a medium mixing bowl. Add the vegetables, and stir with a rubber spatula until they are coated in the yogurt.
- Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and whisk to loosen. Add the yogurt and vegetable mixture, sausage, scallion, shredded cheese, salt, and black pepper. Fold with a rubber spatula until the vegetables and cheeses are evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Transfer the dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the casserole for 40-45 minutes, until it is lightly golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the casserole to cool for at least ten minutes before serving.
- Cut the casserole into squares, or simply transfer to a plate with a large spoon. Serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories600Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.