- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breasts (lrg Whole, about 3 pounds, skin on, cut into 8 pieces, you may use b)
- 12 chicken thighs (about 4 lb)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (Coarsely)
- 2 cups chopped celery (Coarsely)
- 2 green bell pepper (mediums, coarsely chopped)
- 1 can tomatoes (coarsely chopped, with juice, 32 oz)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 pound andouille sausage (Precooked, coarsely chopped, or other spicy)
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Working in small batches over medium-high heat, brown the chicken pieces on all sides (skin side down first). With thongs, remove each browned batch to a platter.
- After all the chicken is browned, make a New Orleans-style roux; Pour the remaining oil form the Dutch oven into a measuring cup. Return 1/4 cup to the Dutch oven and heat over medium heat. Add the flour and stir, scraping flour from the bottom of the pan as it slowly browns. Stir constantly until the roux is a rich brown, the color of a paper bag. (Be careful: When a roux begins to brown, it can burn very quickly and will continue to cook
- Immediately stir in the onions, celery and peppers. Cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, bay leaves, broth, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer
- Remove the skin and visible fat from the chicken. Return to the pan.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Add the sausage. Skim off fat as it collects on top of the sauce. Cook another 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thick.
|Calories630Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.