- 4.5 kilograms lobster (female, boiled in water to cover f)
- 1/2 claws (cracked with a mallet)
- 6 anchovies (salt)
- 1 1/4 cups sherry (or Madeira)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup chili
- 3 1/2 cups wine
- black peppercorns
- Pick out all the lobster meat and pound the coral (roe) with the anchovy fillets in a mortar. When completely bruised, add the lobster meat; pound and moisten it wtih the remaining ingredients. Mix well, and put the ketchup into wide-mouthed jars. Put 1 teaspoon (5 ml) peppercorns into each jar. Close tightly. Refrigerated, the ketchup will keep for up to two months.
- Notes: Add 4 to 5 tablespoons (60 to 75 ml) of this ketchup to 1 cup
- (1/4 liter) of melted butter as a sauce for fish dishes. For chili vinegar, use 10 dried hot chilies. Shallot vinegar is made by steeping eight chopped shallots in 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) of wine vinegar for three weeks; shallot wine by steeping the shallots in dry white wine.