- 2 scallions
- 2 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
- 8 strips bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Spray a 9” square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Finely mince the scallion and set aside.
- Dice the potatoes into 1/2” cubes and place in a large stockpot. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the potatoes. Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes for 15-18 minutes, until they can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Drain the potatoes into a colander, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the minced scallion, crumbled bacon, butter, sour cream, 1/2 cup of milk, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and shredded cheese to the bowl.
- Use a potato masher or large fork to smash the potato mixture until it is mostly smooth, leaving some pea-sized pieces of potato. Add 1/4 cup more milk if the mixture looks dry.
- Transfer the mashed potato mixture to the baking dish and use a rubber spatula to smooth it into an even layer.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake the potato casserole for 20-25 minutes, until it is bubbling at the edges and lightly golden brown on top.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven.
- Allow the loaded baked potato casserole to rest for 5-10 minutes before plating and serving.