- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 onions (peeled and sliced)
- 8 slices bacon (cut into pieces)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pound lambs liver (cut into thin slices)
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup capers (drained)
- mashed potatoes (to serve)
- parsley (to garnish)
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large deep skillet on medium heat. Add the onions and bacon; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins until golden. Remove from the skillet.
- Mix flour and mustard in a shallow dish. Season. Toss the liver in the flour to coat. Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in same skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the liver, turning occasionally, until browned. Return the onion mixture to the skillet.
- Gradually add the beef stock, stirring well between each addition. Add the balsamic vinegar and capers. Bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 mins. Serve with mashed potatoes. Garnish with parsley.
Stephen McNeil 11 Jan 2018
I really enjoyed the twist on traditional liver and onions with the capers and balsamic,but the wife wasn’t too fussed. Would love to make again but I get the feeling I will be asked to leave the balsamic and capers out, and not to use maple smoked bacon. Ah well...
Deanna 14 Jun 2017
The best liver & onion recipe I have tasted!