Lily’s Scones are perfect for a holiday dinner, brunch with friends, garden party, or a weeknight afternoon snack. They take 55 minutes to prepare and are 200 calories per serving. These delectable confections will be the talk of the party. You will want to make two batches so you can share with friends and keep some for yourself. Any way you cut the batch, you are guaranteed to see smiles on faces.
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 50 grams butter (cold and cut into cubes)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 egg (beaten with a pinch of salt.)
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar into a bowl.
- Add the butter and vegetable shortening into the bowl, then begin mashing the butter and shortening with a fork.
- Add 1 cup of milk and begin mixing everything with a spoon until the dough begins to form. If the mixture is too dry you may go ahead and add the 1/3 cup of milk that’s left.
- If you like you may also add lemon zest, raisins, or blueberries once the dough is ready.
- Cover a table or counter top with flour and then place the dough on top. Begin mixing everything together with a rasp until the dough is firm.
- Spread the dough out into a circle (by hand), making sure that the circle is approximately 2 centimeters thick.
- Begin cutting out small circles with a cookie cutter and place them on a large tray that has been covered with cooking spray.
- Once all of the scones are placed on the tray, glaze them with the beaten egg mixture.
- Place the tray in the oven for 10–15 minutes.
- Once the scones are baked, let them cool off for a few moments and serve them warm.
|Calories200Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.