Salad doesn't have to be boring! Savor and enjoy all the flavor and health benefits of lentils with this tasty goat cheese salad recipe. Arugula and spinach create the base for this protein-filled salad. That base is enhanced by bright flavors of cherry tomatoes. Fresh beets and creamy goat cheese add a harmony of flavors that are complemented by a light honey-mustard vinaigrette. And of course, there's a twist: Crunchy, salty corn nuts add crunch. This hearty salad is an easy recipe to prepare as a side dish and filling enough to serve as a meal or pack for lunch.
Health Benefits of Lentils and Goat Cheese
Lentils: Lentils are packed with vitamins and nutrients that can improve your health. They have a lot of dietary fiber, which helps reduce your cholesterol levels, reduces the risk of heart disease, and helps keep your blood sugar stable. They also have folate and magnesium, which boost heart health. Lentils are also fairly low in calories — 26 percent of those calories come from protein, making lentils an excellent source of protein for vegetarians. That's important to know because protein helps distribute oxygen throughout your body, giving you more energy and optimizing your metabolism.
Goat Cheese: Goat cheese has a unique flavor and is a great cheese for those with dairy sensitivity. Many people find goat cheese easier to digest than cheese made from cow's milk because it's naturally lower in lactose. Not only that, but since goat cheese has a unique fatty acid profile, many people find it helps keep them fuller longer than other cheeses. Goat cheese also contains selenium, magnesium, and niacin, along with probiotics. Probiotics improve digestive health, reduce inflammation, and help your immune system function properly.
The goat cheese flavor isn't for everyone. If you are not a fan of goat cheese, you can modify this salad recipe by substituting gorgonzola cheese, which pairs well with dried cranberries if you want to vary your salad texture. If you like a little more spicy-sweet flavor, red onions can pack a punch with a dash of red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. The corn nuts add a good crunch — you can get store-bought corn nuts, but you can make them yourself. If you're not up to the task or you don't like corn nuts, you can toss in toasted walnuts instead.
- 4 tablespoons lentils
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 cups spinach
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons beet (grated)
- 1/2 cup cornnuts (store-bought or homemade)
- 200 grams goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard (strong)
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Soak the lentils in water with salt overnight.
- The following day, place in a saucepan. Add enough water to cover and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and pour cold water on top to stop the cooking process.
- In a plate, place a bed of arugula and spinach. Add the cherry tomatoes, beet, and corn nuts.
- Melt the cheese in the microwave for 20 seconds and add to the salad.
- Mix the mustard, apple vinegar, olive oil, and honey.
- Pour on the salad and serve.
|Calories830Calories from Fat510|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat510|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.