Cactus is a traditional addition to many Mexican and southwest dishes. This Lentil Soup with Nopal cactus is hearty, flavorful and provides texture for your taste buds. This recipe is packed with decadent and aromatic spices and herbs. There are only 220 calories in this healthy soup, so feel free to serve it up in big bowls as a main dish or along side your favorite main dish. Happy cooking!
- 1/4 cup lentils (washed)
- 2 nopals (medium chopped)
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 serrano pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 chicken broth (or water)
- 3 bunches coriander
- Cook the lentils until they are soft ( 15-20 minutes) then set them aside.
- While the lentils are cooking place the nopal and spring onion (cut in half along with the stem) to cook in a pot of water. Make sure to add enough salt. Once the nopal and onion are soft, remove the ingredients and run them over cold water. Set the onion aside (it will no longer be needed).
- Pour the tomato sauce into a pot and cook it for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, nopal, and chicken broth (or water.
- Allow the ingredients to cook for 10 minutes, 3 minutes before it’s ready to be served, add the coriander.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories220Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes