- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 15 ounces lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 1 carrot (peeled and grated)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 4 pita breads (or 1 Turkish flatbread, cut into 4, halved and toasted)
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet on high heat. Sauté onion for 4-5 mins, until tender. Stir in cumin and cook 1 min, stirring, until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Place lentils in a food processor. Process until almost smooth and transfer to a bowl. Stir in carrot, egg and breadcrumbs. Season to taste.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties. Cover and refrigerate 20 mins, until firm.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in same pan on medium heat. Fry burgers 2-3 mins each side, until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread 1/2 of each piece of bread with hummus. Top with beets, lettuce, burger and sautéed onions. Top with remaining bread.