- 1 pound ground pork
- 5 stalks lemongrass (fresh)
- 4 inches ginger root (piece of)
- 5 garlic (gloves of, grated or minced)
- 1 bunch green onions (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup yellow onion (sliced)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup water
- red chilies (minced, for heat)
- Slice the woody end off the lemongrass and discard, keeping only five inches of stalk on the base. Slice each base of lemongrass into quarters. Next use a heavy, sharp knife to mince only 3 of the lemongrass stalks as fine as possible. Set stalks and minced lemongrass aside. Peel the ginger root and slice it in half. Grate one half of ginger and set it aside. Slice the remaining half of ginger into coins.
- In a large bowl combine pork, minced lemongrass, minced ginger, half of the grated garlic, half of the chopped green onions and one cup of the chopped cilantro. Add two tablespoons fish sauce and two tablespoons soy sauce. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours minimum, overnight if possible.
- Next add six cups of chicken stock to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ginger coins and remaining lemongrass stalks and grated garlic. Add sliced onions and another quarter-cup of cilantro leaves. Add remaining fish and soy sauce. Add curry powder and stir. Cook for twenty minutes minimum at a low simmer. Taste for seasoning.
- Lay out wonton wrappers on a clean surface. Add one and a half teaspoons of pork mixture onto each one. To seal wrappers, dip your finger into a bowl of water and moisten two sides of the wonton, making a triangle. Fold over the remaining side and seal. Lightly dab water onto one corner of both ends of the wonton and fold in and press on top, making an envelope. Set finished wontons onto a clean baking sheet.
- Once wontons are made, add them to the soup. Cook for another ten minutes, stirring gently.
- Divide soup into bowls. Garnish with remaining green onions and cilantro.
PER SERVING *
|Calories890Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.