Lemon Sugar CookiesYummly
A Tablespoon of fresh lemon zest turns traditional soft and chewy sugar cookies into a bright citrusy treat.
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (fresh, 1 large lemon)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
- 2Measure 6 Tbs. (75g) of granulated sugar into a small bowl. Set aside.
- 3Place the softened butter and the remaining 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. (225g) of granulated sugar into a large bowl. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute, or until pale and fluffy.
- 4Add the egg and continue to beat on medium speed for 30 seconds to one minute, until light and fluffy.
- 5Turn the mixer to low, and add the flour and baking soda to the bowl. Beat the mixture for about 1 minute, until all ingredients are combined.
- 6Form the cookie dough into 20 balls, and place on the lined baking sheets. Roll each cookie in the bowl of granulated sugar, and return to the sheet.
- 7Once all the cookies are coated in sugar, place the baking trays in the freezer. Freeze for 10-15 minutes, while the oven preheats.
- 8Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- 9When the oven has preheated and the cookie dough has frozen for at least 10-15 minutes, transfer the baking sheets directly from the freezer to the oven.
- 10Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes, until they are just slightly golden brown on the edges, and puffy on top.
- 11Remove the baking sheets from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the sheets, then transfer them to cooling racks to cool completely.