Lemon SavarinL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Thought to have originated in Poland, savarin is a rich, yeasted cake, that's usually soaked in rum or kirsch and finished with a dollop of whipped cream. In this case, the cake is soaked in alcohol-spiked lemon syrup before it's removed from its mold and garnished with marmalade and fruit slices. The southern Italian liqueur, limoncello, would certainly work well here.
- 250 grams flour
- 125 grams butter
- 60 milliliters milk
- 25 grams granulated sugar
- 12 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 5 grams salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 200 grams granulated sugar
- 125 milliliters alcohol
- 2 lemon
- 400 grams heavy cream (whipped and sweetened with powdered sugar)
- marmalade (Lemon)
- 1To prepare the syrup (a few days before making the savarin), bring 1/4 liter of water to a boil with the sugar and the peel of 2 lemons until it thickens into a syrup.
- 2Allow the syrup to cool completely, add the alcohol and allow it to infuse.
- 3To prepare the savarin, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk with the sugar and the salt.
- 4Place the flour in the mixer bowl with the egg yolks, the softened butter, and the warm milk.
- 5Add the hook attachment to the mixer and turn it on, kneading until the dough is uniform and elastic.
- 6Let the dough rise for approximately 1 hour in a warm area.
- 7Place the dough on a work surface, punch it down and knead briefly.
- 8Place the dough in the savarin pan which has previously been buttered and floured.
- 9Allow the dough to rise again until it almost completely fills the pan.
- 10Preheat the oven to 190C.
- 11Bake the savarin for approximately 40 minutes.
- 12Remove the cake from the pan and place it on a wire rack.
- 13Let it rest for approximately 10 minutes. While still hot, soak it for a few minutes in the filtered syrup.
- 14Remove the cake from the syrup container, brush it and garnish it on a serving platter with lemon marmalade and citrus fruit slices.
- 15Fill the center with sweet whipped cream and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1170Calories from Fat660|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat660|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.