- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 2 packages dry yeast (rapid rise)
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (very)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 package lemon flavor instant pudding mix (JELL-O)
- 8 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract (pure)
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2Mix yeast and warm water until dissolved.
- 3Combine cake mix, salt and flour in a large bowl.
- 4Add warm water/yeast mixture and vanilla to cake mix, salt and flour mixture. Mix well. This may require kneading with your hands a bit to completely combine ingredients.
- 5Cover tightly. Let rise for one hour. Punch down and let rise again for another 30-60 minutes.
- 6Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll one half of dough into a rectangle shape, approx. 1/4 thick.
- 7Once dough is rolled out, brush with half of softened butter.
- 8Combine white sugar, lemon zest and JELL-O Lemon Flavor Instant Pudding Mix in a bowl, stirring until well combined.
- 9Sprinkle half of the sugar, lemon zest and JELL-O Lemon Flavor Instant Pudding mix over buttered dough.
- 10Starting at end opposite from you, roll the dough towards you until all dough is rolled into one long piece.
- 11Slice dough into 12 equal sized pieces. Place 12 rolls into a 13x9 inch pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking oil.
- 12Repeat process with remaining dough to make the second pan of lemon rolls.
- 13Cover and let both pans rise until almost doubled in size, approximately 30 minutes. Don't worry if rolls don't completely double in size, they will continue to rise while baking.
- 14Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 15Bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes or until lightly brown.
- 16While rolls are baking, prepare your frosting.
- 17Remove from oven and either frost immediately if you would like frosting to melt into rolls, or wait until rolls have cooled, then frost.
- 19Beat cream cheese, softened butter and lemon extract in a bowl until light and fluffy. Mix until well combined. Add in your confectioner’s sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 20Add in three tablespoons milk, and mix until very well combined. If you desire a thinner frosting, add additional two tablespoons of milk, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 21Store rolls in refrigerator.