Bright, bakery-style lemon poppyseed muffins are easy to make in your home kitchen.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 lemons (large)
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Line a 12-cavity muffin pan with muffin/cupcake liners.
- In large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth and combined. Add the eggs and beat for a minute longer, until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Add the sour cream, milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Continue to beat until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppyseeds to the bowl. Beat the mixture on medium-low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon an even amount of batter into each muffin liner.
- Transfer the muffin pan to the preheated oven. Bake the muffins at 425° F for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F. Continue baking for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing.