If you've only ever had mousse in a restaurant, or when you were a kid, you may be surprised at how easy this ethereal dessert can be to prepare at home. This one is thickened with gelatin sheets, which are better than the powdered form at creating a uniform consistency that is not the slightest bit grainy. Lemon juice and zest lends bright, tart flavor that cuts right through the sweetened milk.
- 2 gelatin sheets
- 100 milliliters milk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 150 milliliters lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- Soak the gelatin sheets in cold water for two minutes. Drain, and squeeze out the excess water.
- In a saucepan heat the milk, and add the gelatin sheets.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks and mix with the condensed milk, stirring well.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, and stir again. Add the milk mixture and stir.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and gently add to the previous mixture.
- The amount of lemon can be reduced or increased, depending on your preference.
- However, the tartness of the lemon goes very well with the sweetness of the condensed milk.