These delicate cakes are a different take on the classic lemon meringue pie. A moist cake is the base in place of the traditional pie crust. A sweet and tart lemon curd is then spooned on top of the mini cakes with the addition of a light and airy meringue to finish it off. Lightly toasting the meringue adds an extra bit of rich flavor. These mini cakes are perfect for celebrating a birthday or other special occasion.
- 125 grams butter (soft)
- 175 grams brown sugar
- 175 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 120 milliliters milk
- lemon curd (if you do not find it in the fine foods section of your supermarket, make the cream for a lemon meringue pie and use the surplus as a spread)
- 2 egg whites
- 100 grams white sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, milk, and eggs into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into baking cups and bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on cup size), the blade of a knife should come out clean.
- Once the cakes cool, carve them out with a small sharp knife.
- Fill them with lemon curd using a teaspoon.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff; when they have almost peaked, add sugar gradually.
- Put this meringue into a pastry bag and squeeze out pretty rosettes on top of each cupcake.
- Brown the cupcakes in the broiler for a few seconds.
|Calories790Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.