- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs (2 separated)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 lemons (zested and juiced)
- To make the crust: Preheat the oven to 325°F. Mix the flour, butter, salt, 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 egg yolk in a bowl. Knead the mixture with your hands to make a smooth dough. Roll out the dough on a lightly-floured work surface to a circle, roughly 10 inches in diameter. Put it an 8 inch round loose-bottomed tart pan, press it down lightly on the sides and cut off the excess pastry. Pierce the base several times with a fork and put a sheet of parchment paper over it. Spread it with dried beans or rice and pre-bake for about 20 mins. Remove the paper and beans/rice and bake for another 12 mins. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 45 mins.
- Mix the remaining egg yolk and 2 eggs. Stir the cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water. Bring 1 cup of sugar to a boil with the lemon juice and lemon zest in a saucepan. Remove from the heat, cool a bit, then stir in the cornstarch and eggs. Return the mixture to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour into the pastry shell and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Whip 3 egg whites until stiff and a fold into 3/4 cup of sugar. Spread the beaten egg whites onto the tart and bake for about 8 mins. Cool, remove from the pan and serve.
|Calories430Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.