- 2 pounds rhubarb (trimmed)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (approximately)
- 1 cheesecake
- 7 ounces shortbread cookies
- 7 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (extra)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 6 teaspoons powdered gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups cream cheese (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream (whipped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the rhubarb topping, cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces. Combine rhubarb and sugar in a large bow and toss well. Transfer mixture to a colander with the bowl underneath. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Place rhubarb (not the juices) in a medium saucepan and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Cool. Add lemon juice to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 inch springform pan.
- Blend or process the cookies until mixture resembles crumbs, transfer to a bowl. Stir in butter, sugar and nutmeg. Press mixture evenly over the base of the prepared pan and bake for about 10 minutes or until browned lightly.
- Combine the egg yolks, extra sugar, lemon zest and juices in a large heatproof bowl and whisk over a pan of simmering water for about 10 minutes or until frothy. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle gelatin over boiling water and whisk until gelatin dissolves. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir into egg mixture.
- Beat the cheese in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add the egg mixture, beating well between additions, until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 40 minutes or until just starting to thicken.
- Beat egg whites in a clean, small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Fold into cream cheese mixture with whipped cream and vanilla extract, pour over cookie crust and smooth out the top. Cover cheesecake and refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- Serve cheesecake with rhubarb topping.
PER SERVING *
|Calories970Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.