- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces unsalted butter (¾ stick softened)
- toasted almonds (lightly-)
- 24 ladyfingers (see * Note)
- ladyfingers (or use purchased)
- raspberry sauce (Fresh)
- whipped cream (Lightly)
- In a non-reactive saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, zest, eggs and salt and beat until well combined. Place pan over moderate heat and, stirring constantly, bring it just to the boil and mixture thickens. Cool off heat.
- With an electric mixer fitted with a whip, cream the butter. Add the lemon mixture a little at a time and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in the almonds.
- Line the bottom of a 1 1/2-quart charlotte dish with buttered parchment or waxed paper. Line the sides of the dish with the Ladyfingers, cutting them if necessary to fill in any gaps. Fill the dish halfway with the lemon mixture and cover with more ladyfingers, again cutting to fill in any gaps. Fill with remaining lemon mixture and cover top with ladyfingers in the same manner. Trim any ladyfingers extending above the top of the dish and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place a serving plate over top of dish and invert. Remove parchment and carefully cut into wedges. Serve with fresh raspberry sauce and lightly whipped cream if desired.
PER SERVING *
|Calories770Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.