This bitter soup is bursting with earthy flavors from the leeks. Its hardiness comes from the potatoes and tapioca pairs, small pasta like balls found in Asian cultures. Vegetable broth is less salty than chicken broth and makes this a completely vegan dish! There are many cooking steps, so plan ahead of time if you are going to make this soup. It’s one to make a day or two in advance and store in the refrigerator to be heated up later.
- 3 leeks (green)
- 2 potatoes
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- Chop the leeks and the potatoes.
- In saucepan, place the leeks and potatoes, cover with water, and cook until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When the vegetables are cooked, grind them in the blender, and put them them back in the pan.
- Add the tapicoa, mix, and cook on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes.