Take this Christmas casserole to the next office holiday party for a fresh vibrant side dish. Warming bitter licorice flavored leeks are softened by the earthy deep tones from the mushrooms. Amandina, an almond extract, delivers a sweet, nutty flavor that stand out, especially in aroma. Keeping the vegetables slightly crunchy and not overcooking them in the wok is the key to a bold flavor palate. Grate a generous amount of cheese overtop the mini-casserole dishes before placing in the oven to form a solid crust keeping the vegetables hot, but not burnt.
- 250 grams mushrooms (Paris)
- 2 leeks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons sliced almonds
- grating cheese
- Preheat the broiler.
- Cut the mushrooms and leeks into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a wok and add the chopped mushrooms and leeks.
- Stir and season with salt and pepper, but do not overcook as the vegetables should retain their crunch.
- Add the 4 tablespoons of almonds.
- Fill mini casserole dishes with the mixture and cover with grated cheese.
- Place under the broiler for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve.