Slice and serve with vinegar for dipping, steamed rice, and vegetables of your choice. Enjoy!
- 4 pounds pork belly (whole, skin intact*)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 red onion (medium, minced)
- 1 stalk lemon grass (halved***)
- 3 green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly cracked)
- 2 teaspoons coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 banana leaves (for roasting pan, optional***)
- 1 cup water
- Prepare the pork: Remove pork belly from refrigerator (uncovered) 1 to 2 hours before cooking. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Prepare the aromatic paste: In a mortar and pestle or food processor, combine garlic, red onion, and coconut vinegar until it looks like a rough paste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Season the meat side with salt, black pepper, and aromatic paste. Using the back of a heavy knife, bruise the lemongrass stalk to help release the flavor. Place the stalk and the green onions in the center of the pork belly.
- Roll the pork with the skin side on top and use kitchen string to tie the roll at 2-inch intervals. Rub the skin with soy sauce.
- Line a roasting pan with banana leaves and pour 1 cup of water. Place the pork roll in the roasting rack and into the pan. Cover loosely with foil and roast for 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and brush the skin with coconut oil. Place back in the oven and cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours more until the skin is very crispy.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve with vinegar for dipping, steamed rice, and vegetables of your choice. Enjoy!
Monica H. 18 Dec 2017
I rubbed baking soda on the skin for that extra crisp