Lebkuchen (German Nut Cookies)La Cocina de Babel
Cookies create happiness and conversation. People bring them to holidays, and parties, celebrations. They also are perfect for after school snacks, late night snacks, or surprise lunch items. These Lebkuchen or German Nut Cookies are delicious and decadent. This sweet and succulent recipe combines savory spices with rich dark chocolate, nuts and heavy whipping cream. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this sweet treat as much as we do.
- 130 grams marzipan (almond paste)
- 75 grams sugar
- 275 grams egg whites (approximately 5 egg whites)
- 2 eggs (medium-sized)
- 135 grams flour
- 1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1/4 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 70 grams orange (candied, finely diced)
- 80 grams lemon (candied, finely diced)
- 1 lemon
- 150 grams almond flour
- 150 grams ground hazelnuts
- almonds (or hazelnuts for garnish, optional)
- 75 grams dark chocolate (70 percent cocoa or more)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 70 milliliters heavy whipping cream
- 1Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- 2Line several baking pans with parchment paper.
- 3Grate the marzipan and mix the sugar in with it. Constantly beating, add the egg whites one by one and then the whole eggs until well combined.
- 4Sift the flour into the wet mixture, then add the salt, ground black pepper, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, candied oranges and lemons, lemon zest, almond flour, and ground hazelnuts and beat together until well combined.
- 5Spoon the batter into a plastic bag and cut one corner off. Squeeze out cookie-sized dollops onto the parchment paper.
- 6Add an almond or hazelnut to the middle of each dollop and bake for 12 minutes until firm but not hard. Remove onto a cooling rack to let cool completely.
- 7If you choose to top the cookies with chocolate rather than nuts, you will need to put the dark chocolate, butter, and heavy whipping cream in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 1-minute increments until melted.
- 8Dip the tops of the cookies in the chocolate mixture and top with the dried fruit or nuts of your choice. Let cool and enjoy.
PER SERVING *
|Calories990Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.