- 4 cups flour (superfine)
- 2 cups semolina (fine)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- powdered sugar (to serve)
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine flour, semolina and granulated sugar in a food processor. Add butter; process to a fine crumb. Add milk, orange blossom water and rosewater and pulse to form a soft dough. Wrap in plastic wrap; let stand 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, for the date paste, combine dates, 1 1/2 cups water and granulated sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil on high heat, stirring. Cook 6-8 mins, until very dry. Cool 10 mins. Place in food processor with butter. Process to a paste. Refrigerate until needed.
- Knead dough 3-4 mins until smooth and shiny. Divide evenly into 4. Roll each piece out between 2 sheets parchment paper to a 6 x 12 inch rectangle (about 1/8 inch thick). Refrigerate for 10 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and line 2 baking pans with parchment paper.
- Spread 1/4 of date paste along one long edge of one dough rectangle. Roll up tightly. Then roll out to a thin 16 inch length.
- Cut into 6. Roll each piece to 1/3 inch thick ropes. Join ends to make a ring shape, smoothing over joint. Place on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining dough and paste.
- Bake 10-15 mins, until just lightly golden on the bottom. Cool in pan 5 mins. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar to serve.
|Calories340Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.