You have been invited to a party or potluck and you want to provide the perfect palate pleasing appetizer. This recipe for Leavened Rye Bread combines the rich and delicious flavors that will melt in your mouth. These savory cakes are packed with flavor and make the perfect party appetizer. Be sure to pick these ingredients up the next time you go shopping so you can surprise your friends with your culinary skills.
- 100 grams white flour
- 60 milliliters warm water
- 5 grams fresh yeast
- 350 grams white flour
- 150 grams rye flour (whole)
- 350 milliliters warm water
- 12 grams baker's yeast (fresh)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- For the sourdough, dough may be prepared the day before.
- Place flour in a large bowl.
- Mix yeast water in a small bowl and pour over the flour.
- Mix until a firm dough forms.
- Place the sourdough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let ferment in a warm area for 3 hours.
- Place dough on lightly floured work surface and punch to remove air.
- Place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or in a sealed container.
- Refrigerate dough overnight, or let it ferment three more hours and remove two hours before making the bread.
- For the base dough, mix white and whole rye flours in a bowl and make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, combine water and yeast and let stand 5 minutes until liquid yeast forms.
- Pour liquid yeast into the flour mixture, add salt and sourdough.
- Knead well until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Form a ball and let rise for 1 hour.
- After that, knead well to remove air.
- Form two round loaves and sprinkle with flour.
- With a small, sharp knife, make four shallow cuts on bread surface, forming a cube.
- Set both loaves on a floured baking sheet, cover, and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 240°C (approximately 460°F).
- Bake on the upper oven rack.
- Spray oven with water and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a rack.