- 1 pound sashimi grade tuna (we used Chu-toro)
- 1 head Boston Bibb lettuce
- 1/2 head red cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 2 avocados (ripe, sliced)
- 1 cup green onions (sliced)
- 1 cup light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wasabi paste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce and wasabi paste.
- Thinly slice the green onions.
- Save 2 tbsp of onions for garnish.
- Place sliced onions into the sauce bowl.
- Set aside, allowing the wasabi and green onions to infuse the soy sauce as you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Rinse the lettuce and red cabbage.
- Finely shred the red cabbage.
- To arrange the salad, start by placing leaves of bibb lettuce around the bottom. This is the foundation of the salad.
- Once there is a full layer of green lettuce, create a layer of the red cabbage on top of the bibb lettuce. As much as possible, begin to form a pyramid of lettuce by concentrating the slices in the middle of the bowl.
- Set the bowls aside as you prepare the avocado and tuna.
- Cut the avocado in half, lengthwise.
- Remove the pit (one easy way to do this is to hold one half of the avocado in one hand and strike the pit with the sharp part of a chef's knife. Twist slightly and the pit comes out smoothly).
- Then, slice the avocado lengthwise, in quarter-inch-wide slices. Remove slices with a spoon, taking care to keep the long slices intact.
- Continue building your "pyramid" by overlapping the slices of avocado with one end of each slice always in the center of the bowl (like bicycle spokes from a center hub).
- Now, slice the tuna into half inch slices. Make an "X" by putting your (sharp) knife perpendicular to the natural lines of the tuna. Slice at about a 45 degree angle, pulling the knife towards you as you cut.
- Once the tuna is sliced, repeat the same procedure as with the avocado, creating an overlapping layer of tuna on top of the avocado slices.
- Drizzle the salad with the soy-wasabi dressing and sprinkle with the fresh green onions.
PER SERVING *
|Calories400Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.