- 1 pound ham steak (sliced)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 12 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- 15 ounces refried black beans (or refried pinto beans, warmed)
- 1/4 cup green chiles (roasted, chopped)
- 2 cups salsa (any variety you prefer)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Season the ham steak with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the seasoned ham steak on a parchment lined baking sheet and transfer to the preheated oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes until the internal temperature is 140 degrees F. Halfway through the cooking time, flip the ham steak over, and continue to cook until done.
- Allow the ham steak to rest loosely covered with foil, for at least 10 minutes before cutting. Cut the ham into small 1/2-inch cubes and set aside.
- Preheat broiler. Put tortillas in single layer on baking sheet. Brush with oil. Broil until toasted, about 3 minutes. Turn and set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of the warmed beans on one of the tortillas. Top with a few tablespoons of shredded cheese and a sprinkle of cubed ham steak and some of the green chilies. Repeat process one more time and then top with another tortilla so there are 3 tortillas per stack, with the top tortilla plain. Repeat this process with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Once you have 4 stacks of quesadillas, drizzle salsa over each of the stacks and sprinkle with a bit of cheese. Place the quesadillas back into the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Then, cut into 4 wedges. Garnish as desired.