- 2 1/2 pounds lamb (forequarter chops, fat trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion (medium, finely chopped)
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 stick celery (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 3 large potatoes (peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons butter (plus extra, melted, to brush)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 6 baking dishes (1 cup) and place on a baking tray. Cut lamb from bone, reserving bones to make stock. Chop lamb until minced finely.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over moderate heat. Cook and the onions, carrots and celery for 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook and for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the chopped lamb and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in tomatoes, stock, paste, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley. Remove bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, steam potatoes in a steaming basket over a saucepan of simmering water for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl and add the butter and milk. Mash until smooth and season with salt.
- Spoon lamb mixture into prepared baking dishes and top with mashed potatoes. Brush with melted extra butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serve at once.
|Calories800Calories from Fat470|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat470|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Liene K. 4 Mar 2018
Was delicious. My family loved it