You don't need to go to a Korean BBQ restaurant (or have a Korean grandma) to enjoy this deeply flavorful version of bulgogi — Korean grilled beef. In fact, you can pull it off on a weeknight. The only secret for great salty-sweet flavor is to put the meat in the simple marinade at least 8 hours ahead. We've gone for lean and economical flank steak here instead of the more traditional and pricier short rib. And to keep things extra-easy, we cooked the meat on a grill pan rather than firing up the grill. Add a pot of rice if you'd like a more filling meal, and lettuce leaves if you want to make wraps. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Julia Lee.
- Lay the flank steak flat and seal in a shallow lidded container or sheet of plastic wrap. Freeze for about 30 minutes to make slicing easier.
- To make the marinade: Thinly slice the garlic and place in a shallow mixing bowl. Add the mirin, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Slice the steak on a diagonal across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add steak to the marinade and mix until each slice is well coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours, turning the meat occasionally in marinade.
- Heat a grill pan or large frying pan over medium-high heat until hot. Brush oil onto the grates. Grill the steak flat in a single layer in 2-3 batches, turning as needed, until steak is lightly charred and cooked through, 1-3 minutes total. If using a frying pan, add oil as needed to prevent sticking. Transfer the meat to a serving platter as it is finished.
- Slice the green onions on a diagonal and scatter over the bulgogi. Serve beef with rice, lettuce, and kimchi if desired.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories280Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes