- 5 pounds beef short ribs (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (finely minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons dried red chili pepper (chopped)
- Toast sesame seeds in pan over low flame. Grind sesame seeds in mortar and pestle and add to marinade.
- Place ribs in a large plastic bag. Combine remaining ingredients for marinade and pour over ribs, pressing air out of bag; seal securely.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours. Remove ribs from bag, shaking off excess marinade.
- Grill ribs over hot mesquite 15 to 20 minutes until brown and crispy, turning and basting just before removing from the grill.