- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 brown onion (small, diced)
- 1 chili (dried pasilla, stem and seeds removed, diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 corn tortillas (cut into strips)
- 7 ounces hominy (or ½ a can, rinsed)
- 7 ounces black beans (or ½ a can, rinsed)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch cilantro (some leaves chopped for garnish, and the stems of the bunch tied together with cooking twine)
- 2 limes
- queso fresco
- green onion
- 3 corn tortillas (cut into sixths)
- nonstick spray
- 1 jalapeno (diced, with seeds for more heat)
- 7 ounces corn kernels (or ½ can, rinsed)
- Preheat the oven to 375 . Line a sheet tray with tinfoil, drizzle it with olive oil, and place the chicken down. Season each side with salt and pepper. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size and thickness. Keep checking so as not to overcook! You want the chicken to be a tad bit underdone so that it can finish cooking (not overcook) in the soup. Once done, let cool and either dice or shred the chicken; whichever you prefer (I like mine shredded; it’s more work but worth it).
- Line another sheet tray with tinfoil and spray completely with nonstick spray. Place the tortilla triangles on the sheet and spray them as well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake them for 7-10 minutes, until crispy and delicious!
- In the meantime . . . Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium in a large saucepot and add the garlic and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté for a few minutes until fragrant. If the mixture begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, add a dash of chicken stock and scrape all those goodies off the bottom of the pan. Add the pasilla chili (Option: add your jalapenos), the chili powder, and the corn tortilla strips; stir to combine and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the chopped or shredded chicken, the hominy and black beans (Optional: add the corn) and cook for about 1 minute; add the chicken stock and the bouquet of cilantro. Bring the pot to a boil; then reduce and let simmer while you prepare your beautiful garnishes!
- Right before ladling into bowls, squeeze the juice from one lime and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with crumbled Queso Fresco, cilantro leaves, green onions, and your baked tortilla chips. Enjoy with an ice cold Mexican beer!
PER SERVING *
|Calories590Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.