- 6 slices bacon
- 1 pound kielbasa (OR smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices)
- 1/2 pound boneless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 12 ounces tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 28 ounces tomatoes (whole, cut up)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups okra (sliced OR 10-oz package frozen cut okra, thawed)
- 1 onion (medium, coarsely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (medium, coarsely chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound shrimp (medium, peeled and deveined)
- 1 teaspoon file powder (*, optional)
- cooked rice (optional)
- In a Dutch oven cook bacon until crisp; remove. Drain and crumble on paper toweling; set aside. Cook kielbasa and chicken in hot bacon drippings until chicken is browned. Remove kielbasa and chicken, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add flour to drippings; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 12-15 minutes or until a reddish-brown roux forms.
- Gradually stir in tomato juice and water. Add tomatoes and bouillon, stirring well. Add kielbasa, chicken, tomato sauce, okra, onion, green pepper, bay leaves, salt, red pepper and allspice; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves. Stir in file powder and bacon; mix well. Serve over hot cooked rice, if desired.