Kibbeh balls with Chickpeas and MintANGIEPAMOUKIAN56778
This is an Armenian dish big time and I call it at home Kibbeh shawraba or Kibbeh soup. To make it lighter and easier to prepare, I have made some changes to the original recipe that my aunt gave me. My friend Mich loves it so this recipe is made especially for her. By the way if you do not have time to make your own Kibbeh at home, you can buy it from any supermarket, from the Arabic food section in the freezer; but you know it is always nice to make it fresh at home. Here I have made two kinds of Kibbeh balls, some are stuffed with minced meat and some are just nicely done balls. You can choose one of it to use or just do both. Hope you will try it.
- To make the Kibbeh balls, wash the bulghur and drain in a colander. Transfer it to a large bowl and add the semolina, meat, salt, onion, paprika and black pepper and mix together using your hands, add water little by little till it is well combined and feels like a sticky lump. A food processor can do so. Now prepare a small bowl and put some water inside. Dip your hands in water and start taking some of your mixture by hand to make little nice balls. Arrange it in a tray and make sure to have space between the balls so it will not stick together.
- To make the stuffed Kibbeh balls, repeat the exact same procedure, mix the bulghur with meat and the spices, but before you go ahead and do balls. Prepare the stuffing. Heat a pan, put a lug of olive oil, then add the onions till pale and then pour over the minced meat with all the spices. Cook till it is nicely done. Put it aside to cool.
- Prepare a small bowl and fill it with water (you will use it to dip your finger while stuffing). Divide the Kibbeh dough into small balls and then take each ball and make a hole in the middle. Dip your finger in water to make the hole bigger and then fill it with the cooked minced meat mixture. Then take the sides and close it to make a nice ball. Arrange it on a tray next to each other. keep on doing so till your kibbeh dough is finished.
- Now take a nice big pot put some of both kibbeh or all and cover with water and bring to a boil. Add a cube of maggie in the water and 1/2 of a lemon as it is. Let it cook for 10- 15 minutes then remove the 1/2 lemon and add the cleaned chickpeas, the Pomi or strained juice of tomatoes. Then add the chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste bring to a boil for another 5 minutes, then add the crushed garlic, the dry mint let it simmer for another 5 - 8 minutes, you can add the juice of lemon if you want just before serving. Serve it hot in a soup bowl. You can have a nice fresh green chili to crunch next to it.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories520Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.