Kheer RiceO Meu Tempero
Make this wonderfully aromatic rice pudding for all the Valentines in your life this holiday. To make it, basmati rice is first soaked to remove the extra starches and then cooked in milk and crushed cardamom pods until the grains are tender and infused with the flavor of the spice. Sugar, raisins, and sliced almonds are added at the end. For more authentic flavors, add saffron and rosewater (appropriate for the occasion). Serve warm or cold, dusted with ground cinnamon.
- 200 grams basmati rice
- 1 1/2 liters milk
- 6 cardamom pods (crushed)
- 150 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoons raisins (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds (chopped)
- 1Soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes, and drain.
- 2Place the milk and cardamom pods in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 3Add the rice, lower the heat and cook for 1 hour.
- 4Stir frequently.
- 5Add the sugar, raisins, and almonds.
- 6Cook for another few minutes at low heat until you get the consistency of a porridge.
- 7Turn off the heat and remove the cardamom pods.
- 8For a more traditional recipe, add a bit of water mixed with saffron for color, and once cold 1 teaspoon of rosewater.
- 9Serve warm or cold, sprinkled with cinnamon.